Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mama's Story Fini

"No questions from anyone unless Ada May says it's all right." Grandpa ordered. He looked like he was afraid she would run away again if he let go of her hand.

Annie blurted out, "I have to ask one question. Why did you come back now? You had thirty years to do that?"

Mama smiled. "I followed you. I knew you had found that picture and I saw the letters that came from a Private investigator. Then, when you said you were going to Kentucky to do some research for a new book, I thought I should be here to see that you got the right story."

Eddie cleared his throat before he told them, "I can't get over how much you two look alike. When Annie came into the station, I knew she had to be related to Ada May." He looked longingly at Mama before telling her, " I never got over you, Ada. "

Annie had to ask, "Are you my father?"

Mama held up her hand. "No more questions, remember. And, no, he is not your father." There was a total quiet around the table, waiting for Mama to continue. When she started to cry, Grandpa put his arm around her.

Eddie spoke, breaking the spell, "It was after graduation, wasn't it? I went to St Louis to look into the job market there. I knew you didn't want to move there. But I had to go. Damn me." Eddie said.

Mama patted his hand, "No, Ed, I should have…. shouldn't have. But I guess I was so mad at you that I went with Barb, my college friend to a Legion Dance. I met someone. His name was Theo. I think it was short for Theopholus. Never did know his last name. It was just a one night stand. I didn't even try to find him to tell him when I found out I was pregnant. I was so ashamed of myself , all I could do was run away from everyone I loved."

"To Cincinnati," Annie filled in for her.

"Yes," Mama sniffed and wiped her nose on her napkin. "College girls talk about a lot of things. One of the girls knew about a place that took in girls like me. I thought I would give the baby up for adoption. But when Edna, the lady who ran the place, saw that I couldn't do that, she got me the accounting job at the brewery. I had set up an accounting system for Edna's Place. She helped me until I was able to take care of Annie and myself."

Annie sighed, "So, that's how Edna became such a good friend. I always wondered. Neither one of you ever told me. But why didn't you come back here?"

Mama turned to Grandpa, "I thought about it so many times but, when I did, the old shame came back. I told myself that I was too busy or that it was best not to turn over old leaves."

Eddie Took out his handkerchief and blew his nose. "You should have trusted us. I spent many nights with your Dad. We consoled each other, wondering if you would ever come home. We surely didn't think it would take this long." He looked at Mama. "I had to take over the gas station when my Father died. Mom didn't last too long afterwards. So, I own a gas station if you'd still like to be engaged to me." Looking at Annie he told her, 'I'd be glad to have a daughter in the family."

Mama opened her purse and took out a ring. Putting it on her finger, she held her hand up. "You won't need to buy a ring."

Grandpa looked at all of them. "Well, I'm glad I got that settled," he stated.

They all laughed until Annie held up her hand, "Wait a minute. Mama, we've got to go to the forest and look up all those little people. I'll right another Children's Book. If it becomes a best seller, I can hire a detective to find out who my father is." When she saw Eddie shaking his head, she said, "Or maybe not."



____________________________________________________________
Groupon™ Official Site
1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% off your city's best!
Groupon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment