Saturday, October 3, 2009

Addition to Telly

Harriet both did, and did not, want to hear that Mr. Bellingham would no longer be with us. He was such a good neighbor. He had often loaned them tools or garden equipment. In fact, she'd better remind Charles to check to see if they had anything that needed to be returned, just in case. Harriet mentally gave herself a smack on the head. "Harriet," she told herself, "stop buying into that story that Mama is telling about the…(she thought about how to put it , even to herself) THE TELLING TELLY!!" She couldn't help but laugh.

Mama looked up at her, "What's so funny?"

Harriet knew she wasn't one who usually made jokes but she felt she had to tell Mama, "I just had a thought, Mama. What you have here is a TELLING TELLY!" She laughed again.

"I don't think that's very funny, Harriet." Mama waited a few moments before she added, "By the way, did you hear on the news that Ned Sanford got killed in a motorcycle accident yesterday?"

Mama's triumphant smile brought Harriet's laughter to a quick end. "No, I hadn't heard. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure Ned Sanford's death was just a coincidence." She wanted to sound sure of herself but couldn't help the break in her voice.

Mama felt sorry for her sharp, smug words. After all, this was the daughter who had taken her in and was doing her best to see that she had the best of care, even if she had taken her in for an eye exam three times in the last six months.

Mama smiled as she answered, "You know what, Harriet? I think you're right. From now on this will be known as THE TELLING TELLY."

Harriet felt the coldness that engulfed her whole body. "I'm sorry, Mama. I didn't mean to make fun of your TV. I know you think you don't see…things…people…"

Mama laughed. "But you still think I'm nuts. That's OK. I didn't tell you about the first time it happened. I guess I wasn't sure it did. Then…then… Anyway, let's forget about it. Maybe it is all just a coincidence."

"What is just a coincidence?" Charles had just come home. He stood in the open doorway to Mama's bedroom

Harriet jumped and Mama jerked in her wheelchair. Mama looked at Harriet. "You haven't told him, Harriet?" Harriet shook her head. Mama added, "Charles has a good head on his shoulders. Let's see what he thinks."

Harriet looked at Mama. "Are you sure?" When Mama nodded her consent, Harriet told her husband about THE TELLING TELLY.

"So, "Charles said, "that's what all the "see" and "didn't see" was about when you came home from the ophthalmologist. I waited for an explanation but when I didn't get one, I thought it was just something between the two of you."

Mama asked, "Well, do you think I'm crazy?"

Charles smiled. "Boy, is that a loaded question." He laughed. "Of course I don't think you're crazy. If you didn't see it, it wasn't there. I've never understood all the things they can do on TV.

Harriet concurred. "Me, either." She thought it best to change the subject. "By the way, you're home early."

"It was a boring meeting. Nothing that I needed to vote on. I left early." Charles told them.

"Was Mr. Bellingham OK when you left?" Mama asked slowly and deliberatingly.

"He was fine. He did want to know if he could borrow his lawn edgier back from us." Charles laughed.

Harriet told him, "I was going to tell you to take back all the things we have borrowed from him. Mama didn't see him on the program tonight."

Charles didn't get her meaning at once, "Yes, he was in the second row. Maybe he'd stepped out for a moment."

Harriet patted Mama on the shoulder. "See, Mama. Maybe he had just stepped out for a moment."

Mama wanted to agree but wasn't sure. "Maybe," she reiterated.

In the days that followed, things got back to normal. Giving Mama's TV a name had cleared the air. Mr. Bellingham continued to be hale and hearty. Charles was able to joke about Mama's telly so that they could all enjoy the humor in it, although Mama did not enjoy it as much as she pretended.

After the next Council meeting, when Charles came home, he told them that he had told some of the members about Mama's TV. They suggested that he bring her to the next meeting. Some of them remembered her from the time she served on the Council.

Harriet was aghast. "Charles, you didn't tell them about Mr. Bellingham, did you?" she asked him.

Charles shook his head. "No, of course. I didn't think that would be wise."

Mama, who had been listening added, "That would have been very unwise." Remembering the invitation she was enthusiastic in her acceptance. "I'd love to go with you to the meeting, Charles. Some of them may even remember me. Harriet could go with us,too."

Harriet looked at the calendar and shook her head. "No, I can't. That's the night I promised my friend Ellen that I would help her chaperone the High School Dance. She teaches there and it's her turn to chaperone. Usually one of the other teachers is with her but for some reason can't. I told her I would."

Charles put his arm around her and kissed the top of her head. "That was very noble of you, my love."

Harriet answered, "I think it will be fun. Besides, I can record the meeting and we can all watch it together later. You two can give me a blow by blow description."


No comments:

Post a Comment